Wednesday 28 January 2015

MDF construction and more Napoleonics painted and based

It's been a productive few days due, yet again, to being up at ungodly hours of the night.  It does let me focus on things with no interruptions from the family though.

So, what have I been doing during the dark, cold hours of the night.  I recently purchased the rather nice 4ground 15mm hotel complex to join my ever expanding building collection.  It's price of £55 put me off as it's a lot of cash for a few buildings, but Nick at Northstar tempted me by putting it in his sale at a mere £35.  So I snapped one up and then sat back and waited. 

While waiting, I cracked on with some more 28mm Napoleonic figures.  I had some figures that I thought were Wurttemberg figures, as they looked like another unit that was sat waiting to be based.  However, upon closer inspection I came to the conclusion that they were wearing different helmets, so quickly grabbed my Funcken books and started a search.  A quick perusal of the pictures led me to the conclusion that these were Bavarian infantry, so painting commenced.  A few nights later and I had a unit of 24 men all painted up.  It's amazing what you can do with no distractions.  The next day I started basing, despite the distraction of a box of mdf that had been delivered.  "Get thee behind me 4ground" I said and cracked on with sand, ink, paint and grass. 

The end result is I now have a painted and based unit of Bavarians, plus I based the Wurttembergers whilst I was at it.
Wurttemberg Infantry

 Here are the Wurttemberg infantry, not painted by me which is why the style is different.  Still, they look good.
Bavarian Infantry

 These are the Bavarians, done in my usual base colours, highlight, wash and highlight again. 



I then cracked out the PVA and opened the box from Northstar.  To say there were a lot of bits would be an understatement, but I persevered, swearing and muttering.  I ended up with a rather nice little complex which, after some touching up of the paint to hide the scorch marks, came out pretty well I think.  There is a nice L shaped hotel building, an attached cook house and a separate coach house, all on a walled courtyard.  It went together nicely, despite my ham fisted attempts to put bits in backwards, upside down etc.  I have touched up the roof sections to hid the construction tabs, repainted the white washed walls to hide the scorch marks and the tabs and also repainted some of the courtyard stones to break up the colour a bit.  I think it came out ok and will make a nice objective for forthcoming games.
4ground hotel top view









Close up of courtyard





Hotel front and side view






That's it for now.  The only gaming was umpiring a couple of games of Lion Rampant last night.  The lads seemed to enjoy it, so that's a good thing.  All being well I am off to Penarth in Welsh Wales for Crusade 2015 on Saturday.  Maybe I'll see you there.

PS.  JJ has posted a nice guide and link for upgrading the trees he made previously.  I will be doing the same as soon as I get some filler and a green spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment