Despite the really bad start to the month I have managed to get some painting done, some for me and some for Nathan. He had a mixed load of Dark Ages figures that he has picked up from ebay and various shows that he asked me to paint for him. So far I have done over 50 of them with another 30+ to go.
So that's 36 of them, I also did another 20 that I gave back to him without taking any bad photos first.
Also I have finally finished replacing the Dark Ages Wargames Factory figures I had in my Dux forces with Gripping Beast ones.
Here are the "Romano-British", actually a mix of Dark Age warriors and Saxon Thegns. 18 Levy, 12 Warrior and 6 Elite foot, supported by 4 archers and 4 skirmish javelinmen. I have painted up a few extra command figures to make up the command bases. There are a grand total of 7 metal figures in this force, cheap is my middle name.
Finally I got some cavalry painted up as well. The 4 at the back are Gripping Beast figures from the lead mountain that came from somewhere long ago. They are used to represent light cavalry for either side. The front 4 are Black Tree late Roman cavalry. They have painted up nicely, but the amount of prep work to get the horses cleaned up was ridiculous. I think there was more mould leaked metal on these horses than there was metal actually in the horse castings themselves. Anyway, they will be used as shock cavalry eventually.
Yesterday was the Devon Wargames monthly meet again and, for the first time in several years, I actually managed to stay for the whole day and get some gaming in. It wiped me out for today but it was worth it. The game was great, with multiple players on each side and about 200 figures a side. Not bad for a 2 player skirmish game.
Jon put up a nice report on the blog and took some cracking photos, so please pop over and take a look. Don't mention the size of his warband though, he gets all defensive about it. ;)
I am now going to bed, so I'll catch you all next time.