Due to Gus' poor health and both Nathan and I lacking access to a car through the week we didn't get together to play anything. This week Gus is feeling better so we have scheduled Friday for a game of Maurice, which will be nice. Unfortunately Nathan is babysitting some of his grandchildren up in Sheffield, so he is going to miss out.
Painting wise I have been slowly grinding through some bits and pieces. I got 16 Gripping Beast plastic Dark Age warriors done to replace the Wargames Factory ones I have been using. Another 18 to go and thats the Romano-British done again. Then I just need to inspire myself to paint up enough for the Saxons and I will have enough to play a game here. I also did up my Peter Pig American infantry, the start of a new force for BGO and CoC. So far I have 38 figures done, which is enough for a platoon. To mix up the figures a bit I am waiting to start on a Battlefront platoon now, which should give me enough figures to field 2 platoons for BGO. I have some Shermans waiting to be finished, as well as some Jeeps. All I need now is the halftracks and I am on my way.
I also got a few German bits done, a 37mm flak gun and an Sd10 with 20mm flak on the back. No idea why I have them, but I do and they are painted now, so they will join the German troops I have already. On the pegs now are some French Guard Lancers, the final 20 of a 40 strong unit. Then it will be onto some 15mm Highlanders for Waterloo. Does anybody sell Tartan paint yet?
The best result I have had has been a new addition to my painting desk. After years of making do with a normal palette to mix paints on, I have been forced by the hot weather of the last few days to try something new. I have had the problem of the paint drying out so fast that it has been problematic trying to paint anything. My nice big 3 window painting area has meant that the temperature has been slightly excessive. Basically it makes my painting room a greenhouse as it gets the sun from sunrise to sunset, which is usually a good thing. Open windows didn't help as there was no breeze to talk of and the fan seemed to exacerbate the problem. The remedy has proved to be a wet palette. I have heard people mention them on various blogs but always thought that I wouldn't need it, after all I live in
A quick search on the wibbly wobbly web and a plan came into focus. Most people use a blister pack that they can reseal but I didn't have any to hand, so I used an old take away container. Some foam from Battlefront packs, some baking paper (actually cup cake paper laid flat) and a small bit of water and there it was. Its bleeding awesome and I should have tried it long ago. The paint stays wet for ages and painting is back on. Happy smiling faces all around now.
Just to really make the week complete the Lions gave the Wallabies a right stuffing, then a Scotsman won Wimbledon. All in all not a bad weekend really.