Monday 11 March 2013

More painting and random thoughts

Well the week has gone by again, so here I am with another random ramble through the so-called thoughts I have had. 

Painting wise I had a pretty good week, with nearly 130 figures painted.  45 were for the forthcoming AWI game while the remainder were all Napoleonics for Andy and Keith in Cornwall.  Campaign Game Miniatures have provided almost everything I have painted, with a mix of French Guard Lancers and Dutch-Belgian cavalry getting finished.  Next up are some 15mm German Pak 40's with crew, then its back to the Napoleonics with 2 more units of Dutch-Belgian cavalry to do.  I have started a new process for painting this year, which has involved keeping a log of what I paint each month, keeping a running total of how much I have painted so far and mixing up what I paint so I don't get bored with doing one thing.  So far this year I have painted Napoleonic Prussian landwehr, Dutch-Belgian infantry,  horse artillery, light and heavy cavalry, French Old Guard infantry, foot artillery and lancers.  Mixed in between units of these I have also painted WW2 Germans, British and American infantry and some American Paras, plus AWI British and American infantry, artillery, cavalry and indians.  So that seems to be working and I am hopefully going to paint more this year than I ever have before.

Monday nights Twilight session went reasonably well, in that nobody has died yet.  We have been semi-conscripted into the Czech army, which is probably going to be a major pain in the arse.  We have had to send 8 of our team off to help them sort out some bandits, but it just seems to be a slave raid to me as we need to take as many as possible alive.  Ah well.  Thursday was care in the community day as I picked up my mate Panjo and we, along with Gus, went over to Nathans to play a couple of boardgames.  The reason for this was Mrs Panjo was having a pampered chef party and he would do anything to get out of the house.  We ended up playing Pandemic and Zombicide.  Both are cooperative games which require the players to work together and both games were won, which made a change.  Pandemic involved some real brain searching and we managed to find the final cure on the last play of the game.  Zombicide was played twice and both times we won.  I think we have now figured out how to manage the zombies fairly well, so long as everybody works as a team.  It made a pleasant change to have all the players agree to a plan and then stick to it.  Not once did we have anybody say "I don't have to do what you all say", which we have had before.  It was a fun evening and I hope we can fit some more in at some point.

Sadly I missed Saturdays meeting of the Devon Wargames Group as I went down to see my Mum.  She has just got out of hospital and Saturday was the only day we could go down to see her.  So we did and watched a dire game of rugby between Wales and Scotland.  Yes, Wales won but what a crap game it was.  Oh, and hard luck to Italy who had a better than fair chance of winning today against a poor effort by England. 

My online gaming is going to change too.  Mostly we have been playing World of Tanks, but the last few updates and changes made have taken a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.  There are too many stupid bits that make no sense, like tanks in the open that fire at you and then magically disappear or tanks that manage to sneak up on you and get within 10 feet of you before you can see them. There are other things too, but life is too short to list them all here.  One good thing is I have rediscovered Team Fortress 2, which is fun and free.  So much mayhem and rapid fire will still ensue.

Tomorrow is hospital day, which has only taken 3 months to come around.  Hopefully Dr whoever will thing of something new and sort out my gut, so fingers crossed.  I am seriously f****d off with having stomach ache almost all the time and feeling or being sick whenever I eat anything.  So wish me luck.

I am off now to paint some AWI commander figures, so keep rolling those dice and remember to cheer on Wales in the 6 Nations decider next Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment